In this article
Today, every makeup brand launches a beauty product every day that promises healthy and glowing skin. Therefore, choosing which skincare product is suitable for your skin’s peculiar needs is complicated. Whenever you enter a store or an application, you will encounter countless beauty products with a label that says "hydrating" or "moisturizing." However, both of these terms aim to provide nourishment to your skin. Yet, they are both very different from each other. Hence, determining the difference between "hydrator" and "moisturizer" will help you find a product that fits best for your skin.
The Difference Between Hydrating and Moisturising
Although many people and beauty brands use the terms "hydrating" and "moisturizing" interchangeably, they are definitely not the same and refer to very different skin conditions. So, below is the brief differentiation between skin hydrator vs. moisturizer. Have a look:
Optimal Skin Health - Overview
Your skin needs much care and pampering according to the specific skin condition and other lifestyle and environmental factors. Your skin makes you look good and protects you from several external factors such as sunrays, dirt, etc. People tend to do everything possible to make sure that their skin is as smooth and young as possible.
Let us also remind you that skin is the largest sense organ in your body. Hence, it is the multitasker of your body. Skin maintains our body temperature and protects us from danger by recognizing sensations. Therefore, it is very important to take care of our optimal skin health.
The benefits of optimal skin health are as follows:
- Healthy skin cells keep the skin glowing and bouncy. Most importantly, an excellent skincare routine also prevents wrinkles, pimples, acne, and other skin-related issues. If your skin is sensitive, choosing the right skincare product is necessary. Look for a hydrator or moisturizer for sensitive skin to keep your skin healthy.
- As you age, cell regeneration slows down and makes your skin dull. So, maintaining your skin health helps you acquire good quality and youthful skin.
- Good skin looks great, but it also boosts your confidence and makes you feel at ease in your skin, allowing you to be your best throughout your life.
Healthy skin prevents a number of skin issues that may arise in the future. Prevention is always better than a cure, remember?
Most common skin-related challenges
Skin faces a lot as it is the first thing that comes into contact with anything that harms us. All these lead to serious skin conditions that cannot go unnoticed. If summer is around, you might not want to spoil the fun of wandering around the beaches just because of rashes or other skin conditions. Therefore, you should be aware of common skin conditions that happen to every second person so that you can take the necessary precautions.
Below is the list of the most common skin-related challenges. Check them out:
- Acne:- It is very common in teenagers caused by hormonal changes and blocked oil glands and hair follicles. It is also growing in adults. Proper treatment is needed.
- Sunburn:- It is caused by too much exposure to the harmful UV rays of sunlight. Sunburn makes the skin exceptionally dull and dark. However, it will go away in a few weeks.
- Dermatitis (eczema):- It is a type of skin reaction that occurs when you come into contact with something not good for your skin, such as poisonous plants, jewelry, bleach, etc.
- Vitiligo:- It is caused when the skin cells that give color to the skin are destroyed. It is a very severe skin condition, as there is no cure for vitiligo in medical science.
- Hives:- Red, small, itchy welts occur on the skin due to exposure to some allergens that include bug bites, waxing, etc. However, hives usually go away in a few hours, but if they don't, then you should seek medical treatment.
Hydrators - Pick the best hydrator for skin
A hydrator helps retain the water in the skin by using humectants. These humectants allow the water to collect and lock it in the skin. Hyaluronic acid is the main ingredient of hydrators. Hyaluronic acid provides as much water as you get by drinking a big glass of water. Regardless of your skin type and condition, a hydrator is beneficial for your skin. It will add hydration to your skin and make it bouncy and soft. Aloe vera and honey are also essential ingredients of hydration.
Here are the guidelines to choose the best hydrator for skin based on skin type:
- For Dry Skin: Individuals having dry skin often experience flakes and peels on their skin which further results in skin dryness. Therefore, for dry skin, hydrators containing jelly or petrolatum are recommended.
- Dehydrated Skin: Such a type of skin often has poor moisture content on the skin. So it is crucial to hydrate the skin to maintain its hydration. For such a type of skin, hydrating serums containing hyaluronic acid are highly recommended.
- Oily Skin: Oily skin too can lack hydration. Oily skin makes it hard to maintain the moisture content on the skin, thus, creating a barrier function. Loss of moisture further causes excess production of oil. Therefore, for oily skin, water-based hydrators should be chosen.
Moisturisers - Choose the best moisturizer for face
Moisturiser for the face and skin creates a barrier between your skin and the environment that helps the skin to lock in moisture, making it soft and healthy. Dry air, pollution, and sun exposure damages your cells and skin dry. A good moisturizer for dry skin reduces the chances of skin conditions such as skin blemishes, acne, and pimples by boosting hydration and nourishment. There are a variety of moisturizers for men and women with all skin types. Furthermore, moisturizers play a crucial role in ensuring the best skin health.
Here are 5 crucial components of an ideal moisturizer:
- Maximum absorption: Your moisturizer should have the potential to sink deep into your skin and have the ability to heal and renew your skin from inside. The absorption process should be consistent and it shouldn't clog the pores. With being light and non-greasy, the moisturizer you choose should have natural hydrating properties.
- Protection: Our skin is exposed to various elements like UV rays, dust, wind, pollution, and heat. An ideal moisturizer should have skin-protecting properties that help in establishing a barrier for these pollutants and create a layer to protect the skin against external factors. So look out for moisturizers that have healing and protecting properties.
- No artificial substances: Harmful chemicals and artificial substances are dangerous to the skin as these substances quickly travel through the skin and cause damage. A good moisturizer should be free from toxic compounds and chemicals.
- pH friendly: The pH of the skin is a crucial factor when it comes to skincare. Therefore, the moisturizer you choose should not disturb the natural pH balance of the skin. It is crucial to avoid highly acidic moisturizers that can potentially change the pH of the skin.
- Adaptable: Any skincare product you choose will take time to adjust to your skin. However, it is important to choose those products that are easily adaptable to the skin according to the skin type. It should be affordable, easily available, and should offer skin-repair nature that would improve the quality of skin.
Skin Hydrator Vs. Moisturiser - What to opt for?
Here comes a million-dollar question: what to opt for - moisturizer vs. hydrator? Well, the answer depends on your skin condition. For this, you have to analyze your skin texture and condition very carefully. Figure out if your skin is dry or just dehydrated and then decide if you need a skin hydrator or moisturizer. Also, a hydrator or moisturizer for men can be a little different, so choose the product wisely after a careful search.
When to use a hydrator or a moisturizer for dry skin and oily skin?
Your skin has a natural barrier that prevents oil loss to make sure that the skin doesn’t get damaged and flaked. If you are struggling with dry and cracked skin issues, it means that your skin is not able to produce enough lipid cells to form a barrier to lock in the moisture. In that case, you need moisturizer benefits according to your skin type. A moisturizer is not only good for holding skin water and moisture but also makes your skin bright and flawless.
One may not always need hydration, but one always needs proper moisturization to make sure that skin is not affected by the climate and environment.
While in dehydration, your skin cells do not get enough water and they end up making your skin look dull and drab. Wrinkles on the face may also start appearing. So, if you are battling with such skin conditions, it means your skin is dehydrated. Therefore, you should get yourself a skin hydrator to quench the thirst of your skin before the fine lines and dullness become more noticeable. There are many skin hydrators available to get the volume and bounce back for oily and dry skin, so choose accordingly. A skin hydrator for oily skin will be different from the one for dry skin. Even if you use the best hydrator for dry skin, it will certainly not work efficiently if your skin is oily. This doesn’t mean the product is wrong, it means this particular product is not for your skin type. So, always choose the one that suits your skin.
Knowing the difference between hydrating and moisturizing is the key to providing effective skincare for your skin. The information provided above should have assisted you in learning about the hydrator and moisturizer uses so that you can make an informed decision. In addition to this, your skin changes according to the season, so you should apply a hydrator or moisturizer according to your skin needs. You can also apply multiple layers of skincare products if required.
Furthermore, hydrators and moisturizers depend on your skin type, condition, and exposure to external factors. Therefore, choosing a hydrator or moisturizer should be your personal decision, which you should make after carefully analyzing your skin. Nobody knows your skin better than you.
Check out the best skin hydrator by Biocule - Aqua Boost Hydrating Toner which is made of natural ingredients that are easy on your skin and keep it smooth. Add it to your skincare routine and see the difference yourself. The product is clinically proven and dermatologically tested, free of impurities, chemicals, alcohol, and other harmful ingredients. So, make a change to your skincare routine and add this hydrating toner to experience satisfying results.
- 0 Sources
Biocule has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.
we make your mailbox beautiful too
If you want any more advice, we are here to help. Chat with us and we will help you uncover the best solution to your beauty goals.