Oily skin can be a nightmare if you do not know how to deal with it. People with oily skin struggle with clogged pores, acne, blemishes, whiteheads, blackheads, etc. They are willing to try anything under the sun to achieve a radiant look. Those who have oily skin find it challenging to keep their skin fresh all day long.
Many don’t know this, but the oil produced by the body keeps the skin healthy, but if the oil is produced in excess, it can cause many skin problems, which can become challenging to deal with. If you have oily skin and find it hard to keep your face fresh throughout the day, read on to keep it healthy and clean.
What Makes Your Skin Oily?
Do you know why your skin becomes oily? Oily skin is a result of sebum produced by the sebaceous glands. Sebum is an oily and waxy substance that keeps the skin hydrated and healthy, but too much sebum production leads to oily skin, clogged pores, and acne. There are many causes of oily skin discussed below:
- Genetics: If your parents have oily skin, you have probably inherited that trait. It may have passed through your genes. If your mom and dad have large sebaceous glands, it can be the same with you. Again, the cause can be hereditary. The best you can do is follow some oily skincare tips to keep your skin fresh all day long.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Sebaceous glands are sensitive to androgens and testosterone levels in the body. If you have a high testosterone level or androgens, it binds with the sebaceous glands, resulting in oily skin. Such hormonal fluctuations happen around puberty, and many teenagers suffer from acne breakouts. The skin produces less sebum with age, but extreme oil production can be a constant issue for some adults. It means they need treatment for hormonal imbalance. Before taking the oily skin treatment, you must take treatment for the hormonal imbalance and visit an endocrinologist.
- Stress: Another reason for oily skin is stress. Stress releases many hormones in the body. The stress-related hormone corticotropin binds to the skin's sebaceous glands and increases oil production. It can also cause acne and other skin-related problems. You should try meditation, yoga, and deep breathing exercises to stay away from stress. Follow a healthy lifestyle to maintain stress levels.
- Poor Diet: There is no secret that skin health starts from within. If you eat healthily, your skin will remain healthy. However, certain foods trigger oil production and produce more sebum, resulting in acne breakouts. Even if you are maintaining a healthy oily skincare routine, there are chances that it may not give you good results if your diet is poor. Excess salt, sugar, red meat, refined carbohydrates, dairy products, alcohol, fried foods, etc., can make your skin oily. So, refrain from having such foods and make healthier choices. Oily skin is prevented by green leafy vegetables, fruits, skimmed milk, yogurt, fish, nuts, etc.
- Environmental Changes: Though genetics, age, diet, and stress are a few underlying causes of oily skin, where you live and the time of the year also impact your skin. People tend to have oily skin in hot and humid climates. In addition, the skin produces a lot of oil during the summer, compared to the winter or fall. As a result, to keep your skin looking beautiful and healthy during the summer, you must adhere to the proper oily skincare routine.
- Overuse of Cosmetics: Poor quality cosmetics are harsh on the skin and cause sebaceous oil glands to produce more oil. Choosing the wrong skincare products for your skin type can be bad. Heavy creams and makeup can produce excessive amounts of oil on the skin. Using a lot of makeup can clog the pores. Choose your products carefully. Consult your dermatologist if you are unsure about any skincare product, and use vegan skin-friendly products. These are easy on the skin.
- Medications: Certain medications like oral contraceptives or hormonal replacement medication may increase oil production. Many medicines also cause dehydration, and when there is not enough fluid in the system, the body sends signals to oil-producing glands to lubricate the skin, resulting in the skin becoming more oily. Keeping hydrated is very important, and you should consult with your doctor on the medicines you are taking, so you can take the vital steps for oily skincare and keep it healthy.
Few Ways To Control Oil Production That You Can Add To Your Oily Skin Care Routine
Following an oily skincare routine daily can help control oil production. In addition, regular skincare habits can help you immensely. So here are some essential tips that you can implement to keep your skin oil-free.
- Wash regularly and pat dry your skin: Wash your face regularly. Wash with warm water and a gentle face wash or soap. A gentle foaming face wash can help. Do not use harsh chemicals that can irritate your skin. Pat dry, and don't rub your skin with a towel. Follow this routine every morning and evening.
- Avoid alcohol: Severe alcohol consumption can damage the blood vessels, and the oil glands may enlarge. Hence, the skin pores may enlarge as well. If you can’t quit the habit, try to limit your alcohol consumption. Don’t have more than one glass a day.
- Use blotting paper or medicated pads. Medicated pads and blotting papers are perfect for absorbing excess oil from the skin. Press it against the skin for two to three seconds and use a new paper or pad once filled with debris or oil.
Morning Skincare Routine For Oily Skin
For oily skin acne treatment, you must adopt methods that make your skin look less oily. A morning skincare routine is a must-have for those who have oily skin. This routine will keep you fresh and content all day long.
- Cleanse regularly: The first and most important thing you must do is cleanse regularly. Wash your face with a gentle foam and pat dry your skin.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliating the skin is also necessary to remove excess oil from the skin. Exfoliating is important, but the most important thing is to do it correctly. Exfoliation keeps the skin fresh and healthy and prevents pimples and spots. It removes the dead skin cells and improves your complexion. For an oily skin spot treatment, exfoliation is a must. You should exfoliate two to three times a week using a product with salicylic acid. Don’t be too harsh. Just take the scrub and rub it in circular motions on facial skin. Do it for 3 to 5 minutes and wash it off with warm water. After this, apply a serum.
- Tone your skin: Oily skin leads to clogged pores, and toner is your holy grail for an effective skincare routine. Toner is a liquid-based formula that clears excess build-up and dirt. It enhances the skin tone and balances the pH level of the skin. After you wash your face, use a toner. Just soak a cotton pad in the toner and dab your skin. Pat, it mildly across the face, neck, and chest.
- Moisturise: You may think I already have oily skin, so why do I need to moisturize? Well, oily skin needs moisturizing as well. Using a fast-absorbing moisturizer will keep your skin hydrated and form a hydrophobic (water-fighting) film on the skin. Use moisturizers labeled "non-comedogenic," which means they will not clog the pores or cause blackheads or whiteheads.
- Apply Sunscreen: Sunscreen is an essential part of an oily skincare kit. Many feel sunscreen is heavy and oily. It makes the skin feel hot. However, neglecting SPF is not a good idea. Choose waterproof sunscreens with ingredients like octisalate, oxybenzone, avobenzone, etc. Thus, it won't be greasy.
- Use a face serum: A good face serum works wonders on the skin. It unclogs the pores, shrinks them, and gives you flawless skin. It is great for dark spots and pigmentation as well.
Night Skincare Routine For Oily Skin - A Perfect Oily Skin Treatment
Following an evening skincare routine is a must to keep it healthy and glowing. So, here are some tips for oily skincare that you should follow at night.
- Cleansing: Cleansing is beneficial to your skin. It is not just for removing makeup after a busy day, but it also helps in eliminating excess oil and impurities from the skin. If your skin is prone to acne because it is oily, then using a cleanser every night is very beneficial. Just make sure you do not use cleansers with alcohol content as they may irritate your skin.
- Toning: Choose a toner that gives your skin the right amount of hydration. Some ingredients that your toner must have are AHAs and BHAs. Alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids in toners effectively fight acne and skin pigmentation. Toners that have rose, white tea, witch hazel, etc., are great for acne, so if your skin is very oily, then a good toner will balance the pH level in the skin.
- Moisturizing: Moisturizing your skin in the morning and evening is crucial. An oil-free, lightweight formula quickly absorbs into the skin, but check the ingredients. For example, a moisturizer that has salicylic acid in it is adequate to treat acne and skin discoloration, along with various skin problems. Other ingredients are zinc and glycolic acid, treating acne and blemishes. You also need something that can unclog pores naturally, so use a moisturizer with Vitamin A as it helps unclog pores.
- Lightweight serum: Lightweight serums are best for oily skin, and they help in balancing sebum production. Thus, it keeps the face conditioned and makes your skin glow or radiant. After cleansing and toning, you must use the serum followed by a moisturizer. Use serums with hyaluronic acid as they leave a minimal emollient residue ideal for oily skin.
- Night cream/gel: At night, when you retire to bed after a long day, make use of a night cream or gel that will moisturize the skin without leaving that greasy feeling. Night creams or gels minimize dark circles, fine lines, wrinkles, and pigmentation. In addition, it repairs the skin and makes it look younger.
Steps To Prevent Oily Skin And Unclog Pores Naturally
Though there are many ways to keep excessive sebum production under control, one of the best ways is to use a face pack. It keeps your skin healthy and is made using ingredients found in your kitchen. If you are looking for effective home remedies for oily skin and open pores, you must try the following face mask.
Multani Mitti (fuller earth) and rose water: Multani Mitti is extremely beneficial to calm your acne-prone skin. It unclogs the pores and keeps the skin clean. In addition, Rosewater helps in controlling acne and reducing inflammation.
Steps to make the face mask:
Step 1: In a bowl, add one tablespoon of Multani Mitti and a few drops of rose water.
Step 2: Get a runny consistency and apply it all over your face and neck.
Step 3: Allow it to dry completely before washing it with lukewarm water.
Step 4: After this, apply the moisturizer.
Aloe Vera and turmeric face pack:
Aloe Vera has natural astringent properties that eliminate excess sebum, oil, dirt, and sebum from the pores. Secondly, turmeric and aloe vera have anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the skin and keep acne at bay.
Steps to make the face mask:
Step 1: Take a fresh aloe vera leaf and scrape a tablespoon of gel. You can also use a store-bought alternative gel, but it must be 100 percent organic without any chemicals.
Step 2: Take a half teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix it with the gel until both ingredients blend together correctly.
Step 3: Cleanse your face and thoroughly apply the mixture to your face and neck.
Step 4: After twenty minutes, wash it with warm water and a gentle cleanser.
Step 5: Finally, apply a moisturizer to your skin.
A vital tip: using a face mask is beneficial for controlling oil production, but never overdo it. Use the mask once or twice a week only.
Quick Tips to Manage Oily Skincare in summer and around the year
If you want some quick tips to manage oily skin, then you must focus on the following points.
- Exfoliate Weekly: Exfoliation is vital for it removes dead skin cells and allows new cells to regenerate. It takes the dirt away from the pores, which are stuck deeply, making your skin look clean and radiant. Oily skin requires exfoliation two to three times a week; once a week is enough for everyone else.
- Use oil-free makeup: The path to good makeup begins with cleansing and exfoliation. Then you should use oil-free makeup. Use oil-free mattifying moisturizers, foundations, and finishing powders ideal for oily skin. Keep blotting papers in your purse so when you feel your skin is getting oily, you can dab the blotting paper on your skin and keep it oil-free.
- Wash Regularly: You should wash your face twice a day. In addition, following morning and evening natural skincare routine to keep your skin beautiful and oil-free.
- Check the ingredients before buying any skincare product: If you have oily skin, do not use products that have alcohol, sodium lauryl, or Laureth sulfate in them. Instead, choose products with natural ingredients like witch hazel, green tea, cucumbers, and rose water. Do not use a face oil with higher oleic acid content. Avoid harsh scrubs and make face masks at home using natural ingredients.
So, many factors are responsible for oily skin. It is a task to manage your skin if it produces a lot of oil. An effective natural remedy oily skin routine can help you immensely, but if you stick to a proper morning and evening skincare routine, you can expect bright and clear skin. Following the tips and suggestions mentioned above can help you if you implement them precisely into your daily routine.
Check out the best face toner at Biocule that is specially designed for oily and normal to oily skin. It contains Botanical Sebum Control Complex that promotes cell generation, removes excess sebum, minimizes pores, and gently exfoliates.
- 0 Sources
Biocule has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.