Who doesn’t want beautiful and healthy skin that is free of acne, blemishes, and other flaws? Well, many fail to get that perfect flawless look because both men and women struggle with a very common problem of oily skin.
Once you wash your face it is frustrating to see that your skin becomes oily in a matter of a few hours. However, it is not impossible to control your oil production of skin. You can keep your skin fresh all day long for which you need to take certain steps for oily skincare. Before we learn about oily skin care tips let’s understand the causes of oily skin so you know what you need to do to get rid of excess oil from your skin.
Causes Of Oily Skin
If you are not aware of why your skin is oily, then you should know that sebum is responsible for keeping your skin moist and hydrated, but wait, is it bad for your skin? It is not bad if the skin is not producing too much oil. But if the skin is very oily it can cause acne, blemishes, and clogged pores. Oily skin type has overactive sebaceous glands that increase sebum production and hence, the skin appears greasy. The other causes are listed below:
- Less hydration: When your body is not hydrated enough, it starts hydrating itself and sebaceous glands tend to produce more oil. So, your skin appears oilier than usual.
- Genetics: Genes also play an important role here. If your parents have oily skin probably you will also have oily skin.
- Using wrong essential oils: If you use the wrong essential oils like coconut oil, your skin will be more greasy. You have to be careful when choosing an essential oil for your skin.
- Using the wrong moisturizer: If you have oily skin, it doesn’t mean you should not moisturize your skin. Without moisturizer your skin will produce more oil, so you should use light and fast-absorbing moisturizer.
- Excess washing and exfoliation: Washing and exfoliating your skin is necessary but if you do it in excess too much oil will be stripped away from the skin. Hence, the sebaceous glands go in emergency mode and produce a lot of oil. So, never overdo your skincare routine.
These are some of the causes for oily skin and to manage your oily skin you must follow home remedies for oily skin and open pores. It will give an adequate amount of nourishment to your skin and balance the pH level so your skin doesn’t appear oily.
Simple And Effective Home Remedies For Oily Skin
Cornstarch: Cornstarch is highly absorbent and very gentle on your skin. It is perfect for gentle exfoliation. It absorbs extra oil from the skin and is good for those who have acne. It also removes impurities and prevents breakouts.
- You can use it as face powder. You just have to dust it on your makeup and use it for touch-ups. It will keep the skin oil-free and the makeup will stay on your skin for a long time without giving that greasy feeling. It can be a part of your oily skin care daily routine.
- Dampen your face and hands slightly
- Now apply cornstarch on your face in a circular motion
- Rinse it
After this process, you can use the cleanser for oily skin.
Honey: Honey is rich and thick which is great for health and perfect for beauty. To balance the greasy texture on your skin, honey is the best for oily skin treatment. It soothes the skin and has antibacterial properties that help in controlling sebum production balancing the pH levels of the skin. You can use it with milk that has skin brightening properties and other nourishing elements in it.
- Take half a cup of honey and half a cup of milk
- Mix it well and apply it to your skin
- Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water
After a few minutes, you can apply a moisturizer that suits your oily skin.
Tomato Face Pack: A natural remedy oily skincare routine is all you need and this one is just the best. Tomatoes contain lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidant and offers anti-aging benefits too. Tomato pulp brightens the skin and reduces the production of oil. It also gives an astringent effect. Using it with cucumbers can be very effective as cucumbers also work as a mild astringent that regulates oil production and tightens the pores.
- Take a half tomato and squeeze the juice into a bowl
- Take 1/4th cucumber and mash it to mix with the tomato juice
- Take a cotton ball and apply this mixture to your skin.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes and then wash it off
After this process, use a mild moisturizer that suits your oily skin.
Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is a natural astringent that can brighten up your skin complexion instantly. It has citric acid that helps to tone the skin and controls the oil produced by the skin.
- Take 1 tbsp of lemon juice and ½ tbsp of distilled water.
- Mix it well and apply it to your skin with the help of a cotton ball.
- Leave it for ten minutes and then use warm water to wash it away.
After this, apply a fast-absorbing moisturizer that suits your oily skin. Remember, this process should be part of your oily skin care routine that will keep your skin nice and soft. If your skin is very oily then you can do it twice a week, else, once a week is enough.
Banana Mask: Oily skin may lead to pimples and acne for which banana masks are an ultimate savior. Bananas are a rich source of potassium and vitamins A, B, and E. It fights blemishes and combats free radicals. Though a pure banana mask is very useful, using it with other ingredients can do wonders. For oily skincare in summer or winters, use it with lemon juice to cleanse and exfoliate the skin.
- Mash a ripe banana
- Squeeze some lemon juice in it
- Rub this on your face first for a few minutes and then let it sit for 15 minutes
- Rinse with water
You don’t have to use anything on your skin after this. If you feel the need to moisturize, do it after an hour or so.
Coffee: Coffee boosts metabolism and gives instant energy but you will be surprised to know that it is the most effective oily skin spot treatment to keep your skin oil-free. It also improves skin texture. Coffee has antibacterial and antioxidant properties to fight the free radicals in the skin pores. It is not hard on the skin and gives many benefits to those who have oily skin.
- Take 2 tbsp of ground coffee powder and 1 tbsp of milk
- Mix it well and apply it to your face and neck area
- Now massage your skin for five minutes
- Leave it as it is and let it dry
- Wash it off with water
Let your skin dry and after a few minutes use a moisturizer for your oily skin. You can do this thrice a week. It is great for natural skincare routines and you will see amazing results in two weeks provided you do this at said times.
Baking Soda: If you have acne then baking soda is the best oily skin acne treatment that removes dead skin cells and soothes inflammation on the skin.
- Take a tbsp of baking soda and add it to a spray bottle.
- Now fill the bottle with water and shake it well. It should mix in water properly.
- Use a cleanser to wash your face and wipe your face with a towel
- Now spray the solution on your face so your skin can soak in it
- This will close the pores and your skin will be free of oil
Wait for a few minutes after this process and apply a fast-absorbing moisturizer that suits your oily skin. You can do this twice a week.
These are a few tips for oily skincare that you can follow to keep your skin soft, smooth, and free of pimples. Along with this, you can also use Biocule skincare products for oily skin.
biocule manufactures clinically proven and dermatologically tested products that are made of natural ingredients with no impurities. All products are WHO-GMP Certified, free of alcohol, paraben, silicone, sulfate, etc.
Check out the best face serum for oily skin- biocule's No More Acne Anti Acne Serum that unclogs pores naturally. An excellent product for acne and blemish control that purifies the skin and controls the production of sebum. Get rid of your oily skin with biocule.
- 0 Sources
Biocule has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.